Thursday, October 30, 2008

this is the beginning of a family adventure. Hope you will all contribute. How many of you like computer games?
 tell me how often you play them. How much time is acceptable? what game do you like best? Grandpa Davies

I watched a Dr Phil show about some guys who got so engrossed that they quit their jobs and played while their wives went to work. One guy said the characters on the game became his best friends. What do you think? Can it happen?

11 comments:

Davies Family said...

I had a client that came in because he was playing "Guild Wars" and his Guild Family broke up. He was really upset and felt betrayed by the other players on the game. He had never met them in real life of course but knew them pretty well from there on-line personas. Also, have you heard of the site called "second life." You can create a character and then actually make money (real money) but setting up a virtual business. For example one lady in China is making her living selling virtual clothing to other characters to wear in second life. Kind of mind blowing.

Rob

Davies Family said...

i don't really play video games. i don't usually have time. i think they are entertaining i mean if you really have nothing else to do. i think the guys that quit there jobs where idiots and need serious help. if that's all you did all day...wow some life. i would go insane
-- Quel.

Davies Family said...

I'll get my kids to look at this blog too. Thanks Miquel & Rob for your comments. Randy told me of a lady who is actually trying to MARRY her on-line, make-believe character! Wow!-so it must be a real issue. I think its great Miquel that you don't have time-consider yourself one of the lucky ones to be busy doing better things than playing games. I'm curious as to what Brett thinks as he's the one in our house that plays these games. We do have 'rock band' but it's just a 'fun' thing that the kids do once a month or so, when friends come over.

Davies Family said...

I hate the computers
acceet facebook
I go on the facebook at least 1-5 minutes a day if I can.

from: Katelyn

Davies Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Davies Family said...

I think that is dumb.It depends if home work is done or not. My favorite game is club penguin.

Davies Family said...

Well, this is very intriguing this type of topic. The other day in young womans we had an interesting lesson. This guy actually gell inlove with an animated character and wants to marry it. How insane and mind-boggling is that? But it just goes to show that crazy things happen like that. Or like the young boy who ran away from home cause his parents said he couldnt play his video games or osmething crazy like that..i remember reading an article in the paper during english class.

Kianna.

Davies Family said...

I am very interested in this topic. I'll have to talk to Rob about this, but some of the research I've read says that games aren't necessarily addictive, but the problem lies with deficient self-regulation. In other words, we fail to keep in mind goals that are important to us and then end up using games because we've learned to manage our negative feelings through using them without realizing that is the motivation.
I'd also be interested to know if parents perceive that their children spend too much time with computer games.

John

Davies Family said...

I like to play computer games alot. I have some very sucsesful characters on some online worlds. I dont play them as much as much as I used too though. I'm too busy skateboarding, makeing movies, etc.
About that DR Phil. show...I think its crazy to quit your job just for some lame computer game. Hmmm....I think it is very possible to meet a beast friend online. I know several people very well.

So i dont really play as much anymore but I wish I had more time too. =)

-Aeddan

Davies Family said...

Okay to answer the original question - the average male adolescent plays two hours/day, the average female plays just less than 1 hour/day. I feel two hours is too much, but not because there is anything necessarily bad with computer games. However, I would say two hours is definitely too much with violent content, or other objectionable content. we limit our kids to 1 hour game playing per day.

We've found the best way to prevent deficient self regulation (see my previous post) is to require a password on the computer. This makes computer use a specific, conscious goal oriented activity, rather than a mood management activity (i.e. unconsciously you say oh, look the computer is on, I'm feeling bored and in the past I've used games to relieve my boredom)

I know this is getting long - one study found that 20% of adolescents could be classified as dependent on computer games, and 5% are classified as addicted.

Anybody read about the guys in Asia who died play MMORPGs (massively multiple online role playing games like 'guild wars")? Three documented cases; two in China and one in Korea where they played for days and "forgot" to eat, sleep, etc. Talk about deficient self regulation!

Davies Family said...

ok this is seriously crazy. My kids are so deprived! The only time they get to play games is when they are at friends houses.

karen